October 22 – 26 marks the 8th Annual Pro Bono Week of the Chicago Bar Association and Chicago Bar Foundation. This week provides opportunities for attorneys and law students to help those needing legal services in our community, while gaining practical legal experience.
Complete information and registration, including for complimentary CLE programs that students are welcome to attend, is available on www.chicagobar.org/probonoweek. A short schedule of events is below.
Monday, October 22
Everything You’ve Wanted to Know About Representing People with Disabilities But Were Afraid to Ask (and how to get involved with pro bono)
Monday, October 22, 2012/3:00 – 5:00 p.m./CBA Building (2 IL PR or MCLE Credit, subject to approval)
This program will provide practical guidance about representing clients with disabilities on a wide range of topics.
Tuesday, October 23
19th Annual CBA Young Lawyers Section’s Pro Bono and Community Service Fair.
Co-sponsored by the Chicago Bar Foundation & Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Tuesday, October 23/ 5:00 – 7:00pm/ Kirkland & Ellis LLP, 300 N. LaSalle
This is a great opportunity to meet with representatives from almost 50 of Chicago’s legal aid, pro bono and community service organizations to network with lawyers throughout the legal community. If you have questions or would like to register by email, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, October 24
Using Legal Skills to Protect Voting Rights
Wednesday, October 24, 2012/9:00 – 11:00 a.m./CBA Building (2 IL MCLE Credit)
An overview of the essential election laws, including the Voting Rights Act, the National Voter Registration Act, the Help America Vote Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Thursday, October 25
“Walk a Month in My Shoes.”
Thursday, October 25/ 2:00pm – 5:00pm/ St. Peter’s in the Loop, 110 W. Madison
This unique, interactive program is designed to help the legal community better understand the challenges faced by low-income clients and to help evaluate how legal services are delivered.
****Volunteers are also needed to play community roles in the simulation. 25 Volunteers will be trained one hour in advance of the program. If you would like to volunteer, please register here.
Friday, October 26
Illinois Legal Aid Online LiveHelp Operator Training
- Northwestern University School of Law
- Friday, October 26, 2012
- 12:00-1:30 P.M.
- 357 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611
- This training is for students who are interested in volunteering as an Illinois Legal Aid Online LiveHelp Operator. LiveHelp operators provide direct, person to person assistance to individuals seeking legal information. LiveHelp volunteers are asked to volunteer 1-2 hours per week. LiveHelp volunteers schedule their own shifts and can work from anywhere as long as they have access to a computer and the internet.
- For more information, contact Katie Anderson or Adenike Kadri, ILAO Live Help Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
- TO REGISTER for this training, email Adenike Kadri at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ****ILAO will be doing a tabeling in the 2nd floor student lounge at JMLS on Wednesday, October 10 from 11:30 – 2:30 PM to register students for this training and answer questions about volunteering as a LiveHelp Operator*****